Thursday, September 11, 2008
OUR FIRST DAY OF CLASS
When I decided to teach Grayson at home, I knew that I would only do it if he could also be involved in School like things. Thing such as field trips, friendships etc...Thank the Good Lord that a friend of mine told me about ELO " Extended Learning Opportunities" it is wonderful. Once a week Grayson goes to his kindergarten class of the same children and the same sweet,sweet teachers every time. This is great because I know how important it is that he see some consistency. Well, today was our first day of class, and I was blown away at how well he did. I am teaching in the 3rd 4Th 5Th and 6Th grade History class so I am not able to be in the class with him but I am in the building... I think it is great that he has his own little teacher and its not just me all the time. I was kind of worried at first, just the unknown of how he would do... Until I saw his teacher at break time and she told me how great he was doing and that he already had him a little buddy . She said,"You would never know that the child had never been to school before, he just jumped right in and looked like a pro". I know Grayson never meets a stranger and has his mothers social abilities hahaha... People have said that sometimes the problem with homeschooling is the social aspect and they think it can only be gotten from usual school. I knew all along Grayson would not have this problem,I just thought he would be uncertain... NOPE not one bit... we go from 9-12:15 and in that time my little man has class, Spanish, P.E., snack time-recess, and class again.. The child didn't cry or fuss that he had to wake up at 7:00 nor did he fuss when I left him in the class in fact he ran into the classroom and said see ya later, sat down and started doing his thing. He did however get teary eyed when I came to pick him up at the end of the day to take him home. He absolutely did not want to leave.That is a wonderful feeling for a mommy:)It seems like a lot in a short time for them to cover all that they do but he remembered the Spanish .He came home saying momma your shirt is blanco... WHAT. You know me, I was like, Oh sure what ever you say . Then he proceeded to tell me that meant white. God love him. He will be teaching me this year I can promise you that:) I was so impressed with the whole day. Can't wait till next week.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, what a neat opportunity!! I have to admit that was my biggest fear when I started considering homeschooling.... will I become a hermit?? Will we all forget how to communicate with the rest of the world, sitting home alone and forgotten?? I'm glad to know those types of opportunities are out there. Another 'check' in the 'pros of homeschooling' column.
I am so glad he had a good day. I knew he would! My real question was how was the "nutty professor" 's first day of teaching?
Sounds like a great group and what a wonderful opportunity. I'm glad Grayson did so well so it would put you at ease. I know sometimes it can be hard. Yeah, for a good day!!!
He's such a great kid, I'm glad you both had a great day!
Post a Comment